How can I change my attorney?

If you have retained a criminal defense attorney and you wish to change attorneys, you may do so at anytime, subject to the approval of the court. Your new criminal defense attorney can contact your former criminal defense attorney and arrange for the transfer of your file. In some cases you will be required to sign a substitution of attorney or appear in court and inform the court that you have retained a new criminal defense attorney. There are some instances where the court may not allow you to change attorneys. An example of this is on the day your trial is to begin, unless you have good cause for the change.